April 1, 2012

How To: Make Perfect Buttercream Frosting


This is the most incredible frosting out of all buttercreams, even the meringue-based ones. I don't say this often but this frosting deserves every kind of praise! I am usually on the search to find the BEST frosting for my cakes and along the way I have found some to be too sweet, too grainy, too buttery or just plain ugly. This one is just perfect, a perfect amount of everything. It’s so good that I could eat it straight from the bowl. Although I have found the one, I'm still always keeping an eye out for new recipes and trying out other buttercreams. For now, let's talk about this magical frosting.


The secret ingredient to this is flour and cornflour. When I first found this recipe on Mel's Kitchen Cafe, I doubt that it would work to turn into an amazing buttercream. But after hearing from others how delicious this frosting is, I had to try it! And boy was I wrong. I was surprised how silky smooth it was when I first tasted it and declared it my go-to frosting straight away. You seriously can't go wrong with this. Well, that is if you follow the instructions properly and resist the temptation of taking shortcuts.
The process of making this does take a little time and a few steps. But trust me it is worth every minute and effort and you won't be sorry for trying it out. It is also very versatile, so you can add melted chocolate or cocoa to it, tint it with food gel colouring to your desired shade, or pipe it into delicate swirls or roses. You can keep the frosting in the fridge but it is best if you use it fresh made.


Recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.


Makes about 4 cups of frosting, enough for a 2 or 3 layer 8 inch cake.
You will need the following ingredients:


1 and 1/2 cups of sugar (not powdered sugar)
1 and 1/2 cups of milk
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract or paste
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of plain or all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons of cornflour or cornstarch

226 grams or 2 sticks of butter, at room temperature and cut into pieces

*226 grams or 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
*Note that adding use cream cheese to this frosting is optional, and is just as delicious without it.

Method:
1. In a bowl, combine flour, cornflour, sugar and salt (also add 1/4 cup of cocoa to it if you want a chocolate version).

Whisk in milk slowly until incorporated and smooth.


2. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a medium saucepan. Cook it over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes, whisking continuously until it boils and becomes very, very thick, like this...

And this...

The colour of the mixture depends on the type of sugar you use. I used brown sugar so it is slightly brown in colour.

3. Remove from heat, then transfer the mixture to another bowl and leave it to cool to room temperature. You can also put the bowl over an ice bath or put it in the fridge to cool quickly. Just make sure to warm it up to room temperature so that it is not either cold or warm.

4. Beat the mixture with a stand mixer along with vanilla on a low speed for about 30 seconds. 

Slowly add pieces of butter, one at a time and tablespoons of the cream cheese (if using) until it is combined and smooth for about 2 minutes.

Keep whipping on a medium-high speed for 5 minutes and it will turn into a smooth and delicate frosting. (Mix in 113 grams of cooled, melted chocolate at this stage if you want to make the chocolate version).



After a few minutes of whipping, it should look light and fluffy like this...


5. Put the frosting in the fridge to firm it up a bit or leave it on the bench for about 1 hour. Use this frosting straight away.

Then slather the icing on top of your favourite cake, cupcake or anything else and be prepared to taste the pure awesomeness of this frosting!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. I love cooked flour frostings, but I've never tried a recipe with cream cheese whipped in! I may try this for the next layer cake I make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Please do try this, it's really yummy. I've actually never heard of cooked flour frostings before so its a new thing for me and the cream cheese adds a nice tangy and creamy flavour to cut the amount of butter in the frosting :)

      Delete
  2. you are Talented! When I come home i will have a try!
    the right Nike Running Shoes or adidas Running shoes choosing is quite important. I am also looking for a good deal on swimming accessories. I got my Push-up Bra from http://www.brabuyonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Stone, please try this frosting! It is really delicious and the best frosting for me.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Template by June Lily